Remember Imra? Remember how she devastated South Florida? Were you lucky enough to have your home unscathed from hurricane damage? It is doubtful. Chances are this will happen again. We do live in Florida, after all. You need to weatherproof your home with hurricane windows and doors Miami. Here at Florida Engineered Glass, we are here to help! You do not want your home to end up looking like a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
Hurricanes Are Nothing To Joke About
Hurricanes are among the worst types of weather phenomena. They are a natural disaster with devastating outcomes. They carry strong winds, no matter the category, that creates storm surges that can blow away roofs, break down doors, shatter windows, submerge basements, and send debris flying all over the place.
In the USA there are 18 states that are prone to hurricane destructions. Out all of them, Florida has the strictest building codes that require homes to be hurricane proof, as they should be. We have created some home improvements you can do to protect your home from a violent storm that includes installation of hurricane windows and doors Miami.
Ways to Weatherproof Your Home
- Secure Roofing
- As previously stated, a strong hurricane can rip your roof apart. If your home is missing a rood, then your home will be completely exposed to the elements. If the roof collapses, it might even extend the damage to the structure of the house. Florida allows only certain materials and shaped of roofs to ensure optimal load and runoff.
- Window Shutters
- This is the most vulnerable during a storm. Strong winds carry debris that can come crashing through the window at what seems to be lightning speed. Because of the speed, the wind can cause the glass to shatter. One way to protect our windows is to install sturdy storm shutters. Make sure once they are installed, to lock the shutters to protect all the glass panes.
- Reinforce Doors
- Another very vulnerable entryway to your home for a storm is the garage door. If it breaks down, storm winds can enter the home and tear the roof apart. This is when you need to replace your existing doors with storm-resistant models. Also secure your patio, porch, or lanai by replacing sliding glass doors with storm-resistant panels and thicker frames. Storm screens can also do wonders in protecting from natural forces.
- Keep Landscape Free of Debris
- You may have many trees on your property that surround your home. If this is the case, be sure to inspect them before the start of the next hurricane season. You can do this by trimming branches that extend toward your home and over power lines. Check for cracks in the trunk and if the tree is leading. This can help avoid the tree collapsing. Also, remove any landscaping decor that could turn into projectiles during a hurricane. This includes potted plants, rocks, gnomes, lawn furniture, gravel, and solar lamps.
Contact Us Today
At Florida Engineered Glass Corp. we genuinely care about the safety of your home and family. We also want to ensure that you are familiar with how to properly weatherproof your home. We offer the best hurricane windows and doors Miami, Florida! Our variety of impact products will keep you satisfied and your house protected. When it comes time to prepare for the next hurricane, get a step ahead of the game and call us for a free estimate.
We look forward to protecting your home.