Do you know what egress codes are? Do you know the requirements? If not, that is no worries! The team at Florida Engineered Glass Corp., is here to make sure you have all the information you need. We specialize in the impact window Miami residents need. Check out all the egress window requirements that be required for your home.
What is an Egress Window?
An egress window is a window large enough, as defined by local business codes for entry or exit in case of an emergency. These are typically required when finishing a basement and are paired with an Egress Well with attached ladder or steps for easy escape.
Window well escape systems may be a safety requirement, but you don’t have to sacrifice your basement’s beauty to comply with the code! Wellcraft offers a complete system that turns your basement into a bright, comfortable living room or bedroom at the same time ensuring the safety of those inside.
Egress Window Requirements You Need To Know
- R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required.
- Every sleeping room shall have at least one operable emergency escape and rescue opening.
- The net clear opening dimensions required by this section shall be obtained by the normal operation of the emergency escape and rescue opening from the inside.
- Emergency escape and rescue openings with a finished sill height below the adjacent ground elevation shall be provided with a window well in accordance with Section R310.2.
- Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way or into a screen enclosure, where a screen door is provided leading away from the residence.
- R310.1.1 Minimum opening area.
- All emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet.
- [*5.7 sq. ft. less 5% (0.28 sq. ft.) =minimum 5.42 sq. ft.]
- Exception: Grade floor openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5 square feet.
- [*5.0 sq. ft. less 5% (0.25) = minimum 4.75 sq. ft.]
- R310.1.2 Minimum opening height.
- The minimum net clear opening height shall be 24 inches.
- [*24 inches less 5% (13/16 inches) = minimum 22 13/16 inches.]
- R310.1.3 Minimum opening width.
- The minimum net clear opening width shall be 20 inches.
- [*20 inches less 5% (1 inch) = minimum 19 inches.]
- R310.1.4 Operational constraints. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.
Call Us For An Impact Window Miami
We know exactly what your home needs! Keep your home living space beautiful with a fixed picture window. You can also protect it with a custom made impact glass. Florida Engineered Glass Corp wants to help you keep your Miami business safe this hurricane season. Call us to discuss upgrading your home today and ask us about our impact window Miami residents need to know. We are the ones to trust with impact window installation.